Module 1 – Case
INTRODUCTION TO BACTERIA AND VIRUSES
Assignment OverviewNote: You must install Adobe Shockwave Player and Quicktime onto your computer in order to view these videos and tutorials. They are available for free online http://www.adobe.com/products/shockwaveplayer.html & https://support.apple.com/en_US/downloads/quicktime). Google Chrome browser does NOT work for the Pearson links; please use Mozilla Firefox in this case.
Case AssignmentIn this activity you will be researching a microbiologist who has made an important contribution to the study of microbiology. Next you can choose an area of microbiology to research and find out about the scientists who are carrying on that type of research today. Choose one of the following microbiologists: David Baltimore, Robert Koch, Louis Pasteur, Elizabeth Bugie Gregory, Antonie Van Leeuwenhook, Walter Reed or Margaret Pittman. When researching your chosen area of microbiology, a good resource can be found here: http://www.microbeworld.org. In a 2- to 3-page essay, address the following questions:
- Which microbiologist did you choose from the list above?
- What are his/her most notable accomplishments?
- What branch of microbiology did he/she specialize in (bacteriology, virology, protozoology, epidemiology, etc)?
- How is this branch of microbiology important in today’s world?
- Find a current researcher (2000-today) conducting studies in this field of microbiology. What are his/her most notable findings?
- How have these findings changed the field of microbiology and medicine?