- Reflect on the challenges of containing health care costs in the U.S. presented in the Learning Resources and discussed by Dr. Kominski and Dr. Zelman in the media.
- Consider how information technology may be used to address health care issues related to cost.
- Examine the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health (HITECH) provision and its goals.
- Chapter 8, “Painful Versus Painless Cost Control” Chapter 8 focuses on the relationship between health care costs and health outcomes and its importance on the health policy agenda. This chapter also presents strategies for effectively utilizing resources as opposed to rationing health care services.
- Chapter 9, “Mechanisms for Controlling Costs” Chapter 9 examines an array of policies aimed at controlling health care costs and reviews specific financial and reimbursement cost containment methods to health outcomes.